Thursday, September 24, 2009

Potty Training Day 1 and 2

Well....we have officially begun potty training (YIKES!!). So far it is actually going much better than I had ever anticipated. I would not be surpised if it goes well for a couple of weeks and then falls apart though.

Background: He has actually be sitting on the potty at night before bedtime for several months and successfully peeing on the potty but has shown no interest otherwise. His cousins (3 years old) have completed potty training and he has seen them do fun things like pee on trees and I think that is part of the reason he has been interested recently. So, on Sunday I looked outside while at my parents house only to see Gavin at the back of the yard, pants around his ankles and diaper 10 feet away. When I asked what he was doing he told me he was pee on a tree and didn't want a diaper back on. The next day (monday) I approached daycare to see what they do during the day for potty training and I let them know we were going to start. On the way home we stopped by Target and Gavin got to pick out lots of fun undies with Cars, Nemo, Spider-man...

We put on undies in the car on the way home and had a very successful evening. At night he is still wearing a diaper.

Day 1:

Woke up (dry diaper), put on undies but would not sit on the potty because his "pee was not ready yet". I figured this was not going to end well because we eventually had to get in my car and head to school. I think I asked him every 5 minutes if he had to pee and finally he said yes, so we stopped on the side of the road and peed on a fence. That was a lot of fun, but at least he did not pee in my car.

He did very well at daycare (the took him to the potty every hour) until shift change at about 5pm and he went 2 hours without being taken and had an accident (I'm not sure the 2nd shift people even knew we had really started). I was pretty impressed; one accident on the first day.

Once home he did very well, but got sucked into a movie and peed on the floor (clearly going to have to pay attention when watching movies). Otherwise no accidents.

Day 2:
Woke up dry, wanted undies but not to sit on the potty, hid behind the chair and peed. When ask why, he said he didn't want to sit on the potty. After that, we made it to school successfully. NO ACCIDENTS at school!! I was very impressed. No accidents once home either.

Wish us luck! :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow! I can't believe that you're doing this already. Good luck! I guess that it's good that he has good older boy role models.